Rice Krispy treats are a classic, and with good reason. They’re sweet, simple, portable, and can have tons of flavors. And this is exactly why you shouldn’t just stop at buying them; make them at home too! The marshmallow mixture can be prepared in the microwave, and then all you need is rice cereal and whatever add-ins your heart desires! I chose to make birthday cake, smores, and candy cane varieties, but like I said, the possibilities are endless.
To start, add the cereal and add-ins to a large bowl. You’ll want a lot of room so you mix the marshmallows in thoroughly.
To make the marshmallow goo, all you have to do is microwave the marshmallows and margarine until smooth! You’ll want to do a separate batch of this for each flavor, because it can harden if it’s left out for too long. Then, pour this into the bowl with the rest of the ingredients, mix it all together, and form into whatever shape you’re making. That’s it!
The smores flavors used chocolate chunks and graham cracker pieces, birthday cake was made with white chocolate chips and sprinkles, and the candy cane flavor had peppermint Hershey’s Kisses (side note: great snack, would recommend).
So all you need is three ingredients plus snacks to make a yummy treat! You can make a large amount of these very easily, not to mention that they can easily be tailored to any specific taste. Best of all, you’ll also have a lot of cereal and snacks left over! (See my earlier thoughts on the peppermint Hershey’s Kisses).
These cute desserts and super simple and super tasty! And, they can be easily customized with any add-ins, meaning there are endless flavor possibilities!
Makes: 60 rice krispy balls
- 9 cups puffed rice cereal
- 15 oz (1.5 standard bags) marshmallows
- 6 tbsps margarine
- Chocolate chunks
- Graham crackers, crushed
- Whtie chocolate chips
- Peppermint Hershey's Kisses, crushed
- Add 3 cups of the rice cereal, the chocolate chunks, and the graham cracker pieces to a large bowl.
- Add 1/3 of the marshmallows (0.5 oz) and 2 tbsps of the margarine to a bowl. Microwave for 90 seconds in three 30-second intervals, stirring in between each.
- Pour this marshmallow mixture over the cereal, and mix thoroughly to coat evenly.
- Form these krispies into golf ball shapes.
- Repeat with the other add-ins!