Chocolate bark is quite underrated when it comes to different types of desserts. Not only can it be made quickly and simply, but it is extremely customizable. The possible add-ins and flavor combos are endless. However, most chocolate bark falls short in this regard - they are often boringly standard, leaving all that potential on the table (or, rather, in the pantry). For me, though, it was really the only option. I needed a dessert that could be made quickly for many servings, that was packed with sweet flavor, yet was also gluten-free, dairy-free, and nut-free. This iteration of chocolate bark checked all those boxes and did not disappoint.
Set up a double boiler by filling a saucepan halfway with water. Place a heat-proof bowl in the rim of this saucepan; the bottom of the bowl should not be touching the water and should be wider than the saucepan yet fit snugly. Once this apparatus is set up, add dark chocolate to one bowl and white chocolate chips and coconut milk to the other. Turn the heat up to high and stir to melt the chocolate smoothly and evenly. The result will be a silky sauce.
While the chocolate is melting, add some strawberry jam to a small bowl. Microwave this jam in 20 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted.
Pour the dark chocolate over greased parchment paper on a baking sheet, aiming for even thickness all over. Pour the white chocolate overtop, in a swirling pattern. Swirl with a fork for an even more scintillating pattern. Finish by pouring the melted jam overtop, using the fork technique again and topping with a sprinkle of sea salt. This is really where this recipe turns into art. Just look!
To resolidify all the components and achieve that crunch, chill the sheet of bark in the fridge for several hours. The finished product deserves some close-up looks.
Lastly, break the bark into single serving pieces and place in the fridge.
While you may want to spend all day looking at this dessert in awe of its colors and swirls, you'll be just as happy eating it and enjoying its complementary multitude of flavors.
A simple dessert that's just as flavorful as it is beautiful!
Makes: 90 pieces
- 5 bars dark chocolate
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 cup strawberry jam
- Sea salt
- Construct two double boilers as follows: fill a saucepan halfway with water. Place a heat-proof bowl inside the rim of the saucepan, making sure that the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water.
- Add the dark chocolate to one of the bowls and the white chocolate and coconut milk to the other.
- Turn the heat to medium-high on both saucepans, and stir the chocolate constantly to melt it smoothly.
- Meanwhile, microwave the strawberry jam in 20 second intervals, stirring in between each heating, until melted.
- Pour the melted dark chcolate over greased parchment paper on a baking sheet. Spread, if needed, to achieve uniform thickness.
- Pour the melted white chocolate over the dark chocolate, swirling it with a fork. Repeat with the melted strawberry jam, and top with sea salt.
- Chill the bark sheet in the fridge for several hours until hard. Break into pieces and store in the fridge.