A serious problem with how latkes are normally consumed is that there’s not enough dairy accompanying them. Sure, latkes and sour cream are a classic, but that’s about where this pairing ends. But why not take it further?! Cheesy potatoes is an American staple, and that’s just what this dish does. The latkes and the sour cream blend to create a delicious filling based on the Chanukah classic we know and love, and the cheese on top delivers the missing element of, well, cheesiness. After eating this, you’ll wonder why melted cheese and latkes hasn’t always been a thing.
To start this dish, sauté the garlic and onion for just a few minutes over butter. Whisk together the cornstarch and the half and half, and add this mixture to the pot, cooking until thick. Then, let it cool, so it doesn’t curdle the sour cream.
Next, tear the thawed freezer-latkes by hand into a large bowl. Add the sour cream and cornstarch mixture and mix until smoothly combined.
Lastly, the piece de resistance: Pour this mixture into a 9x13 tin, top it with shredded cheddar, and bake until the cheese on top is bubbly (a technical term).
The smoothness of the sour cream and the sharpness of the cheddar combine to envelop the latkes with the best of both worlds of cheesiness. Sit back and enjoy this new Khanukah Klassic. (See what I did there?!)
Cheesy Latke Casserole
The smoothness of the sour cream and the sharpness of the cheddar combine to envelop the latkes with the best of both worlds of cheesiness. You'll never be satisfied with plain old latkes and sour cream again.
Makes: 8 servings
- 8 pre-made latkes, thawed in the fridge for 24 hours
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Add the butter, garlic, and onion to a saucepan over medium heat. Sauté until the onion is transluscent, about 5 minutes.
- While the onion is cooking, whisk together the half anf half, cornstarch, salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Add this mixture to the saucepan and stir constantly until thickened. Allow this mixture to cool.
- Tear the latkes into small pieces. In a large bowl, combine them with the cooled saucepan mixture and the sour cream. Mix until smooth.
- Pour this mixture into a greased 9x13 casserole pan. Top with the cheddar and bake at 350 for about 35 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly all over.