While here at Kosher Kollege I definitely preach some experimental desserts, there's something to be said for a classic. These oatmeal cookies are delectably chewy, with perfectly complementary bursts of sweetness and richness coming from the golden raisins and caramel chips. They are perfect for a party or Shabbat meal where individual serving desserts are preferable to those which you have to cut. Most of all, they're both scrumptious and simple, meaning everyone should have this dessert up their sleeves.
To start, cream the butter and sugars, adding the eggs and vanilla. Mix all of the dry ingredients, and add this mixture to the the wet ingredients. Lastly, mix in the golden raisins and caramel chips. Now, I know what you're thinking... that's it?! Yup.
Looking at those pictures makes me think that the cookie dough form of this recipe would be equally, if not more delicious, than the baked finished product.
Then again, maybe not.
Now, normally I'm a big fan of recipes that allow for something else active to be done while something is baking. Not here, though. All you have to do is sit back and congratulate yourself on making some awesome cookies.
Then again, these cookies couldddddddd get even better with a frosting...
Relatedly, there are endless possibilities for flavoring these cookies. If golden raisins and caramel aren't your thing, you need to reconsider your life choices. Once you've done that, try making these cookie with a chocolatey batter and marshmallow and graham cracker pieces! Or a dough infused with lime, mixing in coconut flakes and dried pineapple! The world if your (fake) oyster with this simple oatmeal cookie recipe, and your friends will love you for it.
Caramel Raisin Oatmeal Cookies
These ooey gooey chewy cookies are perfect for any occasion. The deep richness of the caramel is deliciously balanced by the sunburst sweetness and tang of the golden raisins. And, to top it all off, this recipe is as simple as it gets.
Makes: 24 large cookies
- 3/4 cup margarine
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- A large splash of vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup quick oats
- A pinch of salt
- A heaping handful of golden raisins
- A heaping handful of caramel chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease two baking sheets.
- Beat together the margarine, white sugar, and brown sugar, until thoroughly combined. You'll need to use your hands for this. Whisk in the eggs and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, oats, and salt. Add this mixture to the margarine mixture, making sure to combine uniformly. Mix in the golden raisins and caramel chips.
- Drop by the large spoonful onto the baking sheets, and bake at 350°F for about 10 minutes, or until the cookies are set but still gooey on the inside.