These banana marshmallow cupcakes are the new champion of all banana desserts. Usually, banana-based baked goods don’t taste nearly banana-y enough. Sure, the bananas offer a nice texture to whatever they’re baked into, but their flavor is often overpowered by the rest of the dessert. In this case, however, the bananas really are the star. The marshmallow glaze is (literally) the icing on the cake, and it seeps into the cupcake just enough to add some extra moisture without disintegrating it completely. Next time you have some overripe bananas, this should be what you make.
Make the batter by mixing the wet ingredients, and adding mashed bananas, followed by the dry ingredients. Then, fill muffin tins about 3/4 high with the batter and slide those into the oven.
While the cupcakes are baking, mix together the margarine, powdered sugar, and marshmallow fluff (I never said this was healthy) to make the glaze. The key to getting the right texture out of the finished glaze and out of the entire cupcake is to pour the glaze on after the cupcakes have been out of the oven for 5 minutes. Doing so will melt the glaze just enough to that it can enter the cupcake, but not too much that it just puddles completely.
This was so good it only inspired me to make it even better next time. Walnuts and chocolate chips, anyone?
Banana Marshmallow Cupcakes
These cupcakes are packed with banana flavor and delicious cake texture. They'll quickly become your go-to dessert for when you have overripe bananas.
Makes: 35 cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 bananas)
- 2 1/8 cup margarine/li>
- 2 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1.5 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/8 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 cups marshmallow fluff
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Cream 1 1/8 cups of the margarine with the sugar. Add the eggs, mashed bananas, and vanilla.
- Add the flour and baking soda alternately with the milk and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Fill muffin tins 3/4 of the way full with the batter, and bake at 375 for about 18-20 minutes, or until the cakes just spring back when touched.
- While the cupcakes are baking, mix the remaining 1 cup margarine with the marshmallow fluff and powdered sugar.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Spread the marshamllow glaze over top.